Last Friday, I started flipping through a few of my cookbooks. I was looking for some sort of recipe inspiration, as I always like to try 1 or 2 new recipes per week. I saw “Vegetable Quesadillas,” but didn’t look too closely at the recipe. It sounded easy enough, so I thought about what flavors might go well together and picked up the necessary ingredients at the grocery store.
This meal ended up being pretty cost effective. I usually have tortillas on-hand—Mexican is a popular cuisine in our household—and I chose to keep things simple with only 4 vegetables.
I think this particular flavor combination really works, but of course this recipe is totally customizable. You can use whichever veggies you like best! Also, if you’re one of those amazing people who are on top of things enough to do meal prep on the weekend, this meal could come together in no more than 10 minutes!
- 5-6 large tortillas
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and chopped
- About 1 1/2 c. mushrooms
- Shredded cheese (I used extra sharp white cheddar but a Mexican blend would work, too!)
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high.
- Add veggies and cook until tender-crisp. (Once the mushrooms started losing a lot of liquid, I pulled the veggies from the heat!)
- Add one scoop of the veggie mixture to a tortilla, top with cheese, and grill on a panini maker (you could also do this in a skillet if you don’t have a sandwich press).
- Serve with your choice of toppings. I had some avocado, but plain Greek yogurt and salsa would be great, too.
I don’t know why I don’t break out my panini press more often. It’s such a handy appliance! I’m thinking I might need to work on a new sandwich combo for next week… something with brie and apple—yes, definitely!
What veggies would you include in a vegetable quesadilla? Do you have a panini press? Any favorite sandwiches?