Non-Gym Fitness Options

Evening, friends!

I mentioned in a previous post that my gym will be closing for about three months starting in mid-December. I did not take the news well. If you’ve ever glanced at my Workout Log, you may have noticed that I primarily take group fitness classes. Even though the gym doesn’t close until mid-December, classes end on November 30th. You guys, I am running out of time to figure out my plan of attack.

I considered joining another gym, but there aren’t that many options that are as convenient for me. There is a gym I can use at work, which is a viable option. There are other gyms around my area, they are just more of a drive and I know I won’t be motivated to go, especially with the colder weather.

Here are the options I’m currently tossing around—

Workout Videos

Workout Video

Currently, my fitness DVD collection is pretty limited. I’ve considered stocking up on a few—a mix of cardio and strength. Chris has the Insanity DVDs, but I’m not really interested in getting into that.

FitnessGlo

FitnessGlo

I was able to try and review FitnessGlo at the beginning of the year through a campaign with Fitfluential, but I didn’t end up renewing my subscription because of having a gym membership.

FitnessGlo is only $12/month, so it’s a pretty cost-effective option; plus, there are tons of workouts to choose from. I was impressed with the service when I tried it out, so this could be a great option!

Pinterest-inspired Workouts

Fitness Board

I pin lots of different workouts, but I rarely use them. Most of what I pin requires little to no equipment, so this option wouldn’t require me to invest in much, if anything. I also like the idea of finally utilizing some of the stuff I spend endless hours scanning on that time-suck of a website!

Running

Running

Since running requires no equipment, it may become my go-to form of cardio. Thankfully, I’m pretty sure my gym will be offering spin classes at a different location while they’re renovating, so I’ll have that as a cardio option too. (Although I’m sure it’ll be a pay-per-class deal, which could get expensive.)

I don’t mind running, but winter running is a different ball game. It isn’t even the temperatures that bother me; it’s the process of getting dressed and geared up—what a pain!

Create my own Workouts

Winter Workout

This is probably my least favorite option because frankly, I don’t want to spend time thinking about a workout. I can’t just jump in and start doing things; I need to have a game plan ahead of time. I really don’t have the extra time to spend thinking of good, effective workouts, so I might only resort to this a handful of times.

I guess I should add that my home workout equipment is very limited. I’ve got a set of 5 lb. weights and a resistance band. I could probably buy  a few more weights, but buying say, an elliptical, is out of the question.

So what do you guys think?

Do you have a gym membership? If you don’t, and you workout at home, what do you usually do? Do you have any really fantastic at-home workouts? Leave links! What options haven’t I thought of yet?

1. Diane @ Life of Di. says:

I would be SO bummed if my gym closed for three months. I’m glad you have the option to workout from home – I always want to do this but anytime I jump around it sounds like the whole house is going to come crashing down around me (our house was built in 1913.) :) The Pinterest inspired workouts and running would probably be my go-to workouts!! Good luck lady!! Three months will fly by!
    Diane @ Life of Di. recently posted..A Little Pumpkin is On the Way.My Profile

lol, I always feel like that too! My husband used to do Insanity in our bedroom, which is located upstairs, and I was like omg, he’s going to crash right through to the ground!

2. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats says:

I’m really lucky we get a free gym membership to the gym in our apartment building as part of our paying rent.

I think I said before I love fitness DVD’s Jillian Michael’s ones are my fav by far. I have heard good things about Insanity too.

Running is always a good one but I am biased and love my running.

Another thing I did whilst on holidays it HIIT training using an app which counts 4 mins of 20 secs on / 10 secs off and I’d do skipping, star jumps, butt kicks, etc for some tough cardio, I usually do 6 rounds or more and it was a sweaty at home workout that required minimal thought.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Friday FavouritesMy Profile

I’ve heard about that app! I also have the “7 Minutes” app, which basically guides you through a 7 minute workout. I’m sure I’ll be testing them out!

They are remodeling the gym and changing it from being three floors to just one… I have no idea what it’s going to be like, but I’m crossing my fingers and hoping it turns out well!

3. Lindsay h says:

Check out fitness blender on YouTube. I usually do a couple of their videos and get a crazy workout! They have tons of videos (it’s a married couple) and most require no equipment!!

4. Amy says:

I have been doing Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred, and I really like it! The only downside, is her, I can get a little tired of her voice, so I still do the workouts, just without the DVD.

5. Stephanie @ My Freckled Life says:

Wow, what a bummer that your gym is closing! My gym is talking about renovating next year sometime, so I might be in the same boat. But during the winter is the worst!! I would check out Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com). They have a TON of free, at-home workouts that require little-to-no equipment. I love using them when I’m running low on inspiration. Jillian Michaels DVDs are also great because they require very little equipment as well.
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..A Weekend with the BestiesMy Profile

Yes, of all seasons! Thankfully, I think they’re going to offer spin at an off-site location, so I should be able to keep on (somewhat of) a regular schedule!