Running: What’s Next?

This is a post that I’ve had on my “to write” list for a while, but for whatever reason (likely my hectic schedule!), I haven’t gotten around to it.

After training for – and completing – the Disney Princess Half, I’ve been trying to determine what’s next for me in regards to running.

Me with my medal

I’ve grown to like and enjoy running, but I have to be honest when I say that I didn’t immediately feel a compulsion to sign up for any and every race possible. Sure, I felt accomplished, but I was also exhausted and relieved to not have the race “hanging over my head.”

For me, I think that running shorter distances might be ideal. I enjoy varying my workouts and I oftentimes felt frustrated that I had to spend a Saturday morning running instead of enjoying a BodyPump or spin class. I have the ability to be committed to something, but I also like to have options and freedom when it comes to working out. If I don’t, exercise becomes a chore, and I definitely don’t want that to be the case!

Chris and I are signed up for a 5K this coming Saturday. I’ve done a handful of runs throughout this past month, and I know I can complete 3.1 miles without (much) struggle. (Side note: No run is easy for me!) I can’t wait to see what it’s like to run a race that is a shorter distance (the half was my first race… ever).

My sister (my half marathon running partner!) has already signed up for the Philly Rock ‘n’ Roll Half in September.

rocknroll

(image source)

There are several reasons why I haven’t jumped on-board yet. At the top of the list? The fact that training would occur throughout the summer (meaning I’d have to be running at 5:00AM to beat the heat and humidity!), and that it could still be pretty steamy in Philly on September 15. I immediately flashback to Disney Princess and recall that the humidity was a definite issue for me!

I also get hung up on the price of races. Since I’m not a competitive runner, why can’t I just go out and run 13.1 miles – for free! – whenever I want? I get that the race atmosphere adds something, but I can’t say that it’s super important to me.

With all that being said, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still contemplating signing up for the race.

My running days definitely aren’t over, I’m just trying to figure out what’s best for me!

Are you a runner? If so, do you prefer shorter or longer distances? Have you ever participated in a Rock ‘n’ Roll race? Is it worth the money?

1. Allee @ Griselda Mood says:

Hmm, tough call for sure! I’m running my first half at the end of this month and I can already tell that I’m going to love the distance and perhaps eye a full marathon in the future. For me, it takes a while for my body to warm up (I’m not much of a sprinter) so by the time I find my groove, a 5k race is over! I definitely agree that it’s nice not to have something hanging over your head– I’m ready to lay in bed on Saturday morning instead of running!
    Allee @ Griselda Mood recently posted..The Weekend Has Gone (Recap)My Profile

Good luck with your upcoming half! I really admire people that can run a full, but I know that will never be me!

2. jen @nutcaseinpoint says:

I don’t consider myself a Runner, but I do run! Most of my runs are intervals on the treadmill- but my outdoor runs are really never longer than 4 miles max. I still can’t wrap my mind around how people can run marathons and all those crazy distances (props!!)
    jen @nutcaseinpoint recently posted..OF ALL THE DAMN RECEIPTSMy Profile

I definitely felt like training was a burder quite a few times… that’s no fun! You’re so close, though! Good luck!

The thing with races – for me at least – was running for a purpose or a charity. If signing up for a race doesn’t get you excited by itself, try looking for charities close to your heart. Whether it be an illness, disease, poverty, etc. Try looking for one that will make you feel good running and push you to go further!
    Lauren recently posted..Tuesday TangentsMy Profile

Right after I signed up for my half, I started “timing” certain distances in my car to compare it to 13.1 miles… it’s far! I can’t imagine doing a full!

4. Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance says:

We share a lot of the same thoughts regarding races. I was REALLY into running a few years ac, but after far too many race fees and dreadful training sessions I decided to take an extended hiatus. Needless to say, I haven’t started up again because of those reasons, but there is something pulling me towards entering another half eventually. It’s all in a matter of time!
    Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..His Perfect GraceMy Profile

I like the idea of pulling back a little bit, but I definitely want to keep up a certain amount of stamina. I feel like I worked SO long and hard to get to a certain point with running, I want to be able to run 3-4 miles pretty easily. That way if I decide to do a half again, I’ll be a little ahead of the game.

5. Nikki says:

I know how you feel — running definitely is never easy for me! I keep signing up for things, getting injured, and losing the drive. I like the freedom to mix it up, which is why I like triathlons..but maybe I’m just more interested in short races that don’t have me spending tons of hours training and wearing down my body!
    Nikki recently posted..Everything’s Better At HomeMy Profile

I know, I can’t believe you get hurt so frequently! I’m exicted to see how I feel about the 5K in comparison to the half!

6. Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian says:

I ran 5ks only for a very long time (3-4 years) before I ever jumped up to longer distances. I still enjoy the 5k the most. It’s quick, relatively painless (sometimes more painful if you’re REALLY racing it) and fun. I do love half marathons, but there is a lot of work that is put into getting to the starting line. I just registered for my first marathon and I’m already realizing how much work this is going to be. But I am excited. Run what makes you happy. If that’s 5k’s for now, so be it. I think the Rock n’ Roll series can be a little excessive in terms of price.
    Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #47: Irish Soda BreadMy Profile

Yes, it IS a lot of work! I can’t wait to follow along with your full marathon training! And thanks for the input about RnR!!!

Yes! I feel like ok, I’m clearly not running to win, so why do I need to pay someone? I have the ability to run 13.1 miles on my own time for FREE!

7. Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life says:

This post resonated with me in so many ways! My running mentality is a lot like yours: I don’t like feeling like I ‘have’ to run, all runs both long and short are difficult, it is hard to justify the price of races, etc, etc. I had to take a break after my half last may for both physical and mental reasons and I am not going to sugar coat it.. I needed that running break! I would love to run another half but sometime in the future :)
    Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: Easter CelebrationMy Profile

I have definitely scaled waaay back in my running since the half… I actually hope I’m ok to complete the 5K on Sunday! ;-) I do plan on doing a quick run in the next few days just to double-check I can still do it! haha

Thanks so much for sharing your experience/link, Lauren! I feel like the weather in mid-September is such a gamble; you lucked out!

I’ve heard (mostly) good things too! It seems like a fun concept, I’m just not 100% sure I’m ready for it this year!

8. Jenny@ The Wellness Journey says:

Hi!! I am a runner. I do like doing half’s and have been toying with doing a full marathon. Just to say I did it. But I definitely like doing 5k’s! You really don’t need to train for them and they are fun and relaxed. I totally get what you’re saying about having a race hang over your head.

I have done a R&R Half – last year in DC. It was “okay”. Not worth the money to me. I didn’t like the course. And the bands were- eh.

Just my two cents!
    Jenny@ The Wellness Journey recently posted..I’m Not a Foodie, But I Play One on This Blog {Fitblogger Feature!!}My Profile