Healthy Holidays

This past Monday, I attended a nutrition seminar offered at my gym and the topic was “survival tips” for the holiday season. While I don’t necessarily feel like I need “survival” tips – I don’t like the idea of trying to avoid certain things or diet during the yummiest time of the year – it doesn’t hurt to have a few healthy reminders. Here are a some of my favorites!

healthyholidays

(source)

Portion Control

Know what a serving size is and try to stick with it. The plate method (using a small plate instead of a large one) is a good way to keep portions in check.

Appetite Control

Have a healthy snack before going out to a holiday event and don’t “save up” calories throughout the day; don’t skip meals. An ideal snack has protein and healthy carbs.

Hydrate

Drink water throughout the day (I always need to work on this!). If you decide to drink at holiday events, stick with wine and beers, as opposed to mixed drinks.

Move It

Aim to get at least 30 minutes of exercise per day, even if it’s just a quick walk outside. I try to plan out my workouts at the start of the week to minimize excuses.

Stay Positive

Even if you overeat at one meal, don’t become discouraged. Start fresh at the next meal and try to make better choices.

I also received a recipe for flavorful bulgur salad, which I’m looking forward to trying out – and sharing – soon!

How do you stay healthy during the holidays?

I never drink water in the morning, although that is a great idea! I drink 1 cup of coffee, and that’s it. I teach straight through until my lunch break, so for obvious reasons, I can’t be chugging water! I’m convinced that if I had a desk job, I’d be a water fiend!

Me too! I definitely have those moments where, if I eat something really bad for me, I just say “to heck with it” and eat horribly for the rest of the day. No good!

I should look into a 5 or 10K for January! I’m hoping the half marathon I’m running in February will help me to stay somewhat on track!

1. Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk says:

I love to indulge during the holidays, so I try to live by the 80/20 rule, and eat healthy healthy during the weeks and then splurge at the holiday get-togethers and parties. And I’m definitely finding out that after stuff myself with holiday goodies, it feels so good to get out there and move a break a good sweat!

2. Alex @ Brain, Body Because says:

“Have a healthy snack before going out to a holiday event and don’t “save up” calories throughout the day; don’t skip meals.”

These are all great tips, but I especially try to follow this one. It really helps to keep me from going crazy when I arrive :P
    Alex @ Brain, Body Because recently posted..Discount groceriesMy Profile

Me too! I do my best to eat normally and healthfully during the morning/afternoon of a holiday get together so I’m not ravenous once I get there.