I realized two things this weekend…
1) Breakfast can be awesome without chocolate chips (shocking, but true).
2) I probably should have named my blog “For the Sake of Baked Oatmeal.” It just doesn’t have the same ring to it. 😉
I mentioned I was working on a new baked oatmeal recipe in yesterday’s post, but it still needed some tweaking. Well, since I had the day off from school today – thanks to Hurricane Sandy – I was able to give this recipe another go and I was much happier with the results.
Cranberry Cream Cheese Baked Oatmeal
Makes 1 individual oatmeal
- 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
- 1/4 c. fresh cranberries
- 1/4 c. milk (I used skim.)
- 1 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. sugar (Or you could use a sugar substitute, I suppose.)
- A few drops of vanilla (I didn’t measure this.)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Combine all ingredients and pour into a small baking pan/dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 18 minutes; let stand for a few minutes before eating.
I topped mine with some syrup, as the cranberries pack a little punch of tartness!
This is the perfect, seasonal breakfast for Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings. I’ll have to work on making a large batch for my family’s Christmas morning celebration! (Yes, I’m already talking about Christmas.)
As far as Hurricane Sandy goes, we still have power, but things are pretty nasty! Lots of intense wind and heavy rain, but I think we’ve been pretty lucky so far. I have the day off from work tomorrow, and it looks like everything will be over by tomorrow evening. I’m sure there will be residual flooding to follow the “main event,” but I think everyone will breathe a sigh of relief once the wind and rain stop.
If you’re in the northeast, how have you been keeping yourself busy during Hurricane Sandy?