My Day-to-Day

Well, I made it through the first student day!

Overall, it wasn’t too bad. I always think the first day flies by and the kids are usually (relatively) quiet, because who wants to get in trouble on the first day?

I headed out bright and early this morning:

FirstDay

You can’t tell from the photo, but the dress is actually a dark blue leopard print! I bought it at my local LOFT outlet last week, and paired it with a long black necklace (“borrowed” a long time ago from my mom!) and Nine West wedges!

Since I’m nosy and know that I am always curious about people’s day-to-day lives, I thought I’d share my current “routine” now that things are back to “normal.”

• 4:45AM – Wake up

Yes, that is brutally early! Last year, I woke up around 5/5:15AM, but I’m trying to give myself more time in the morning to eat my breakfast at home, do a little blog business, etc. I won’t be surprised if the 4:45AM wake-up call doesn’t last though. ;-)

• 5:50AM – Eat breakfast

After I shower, do my hair/makeup, and get dressed, I venture downstairs to eat my breakfast (overnight oats today!) and drink my coffee. I’ll do a few blog-related things, then pack my lunch.

• 6:25AM – Finish getting ready

Time to head back upstairs, finish my hair (anyone who knows me knows I love my hairspray!!!), and put my jewelry on.

• 6:40AM – Leave for work

My drive to work is literally about 6 minutes; can’t beat that!

• 6:50AM – 7:25AM – Down time before the kids arrive

I like to make sure I’m at school early because I hate being rushed and I’m not a fan of having a bunch of people in my face early in the morning. This gives me a chance to wake up a bit!

• 7:30AM – 10:50AM – Morning classes

Last year I had my prep period first thing in the morning, which was both a blessing and a curse! This year, it’s not until the end of the day and I teach straight through my morning.

For those of you who don’t know, I teach high school English and advise yearbook. In the morning, I teach two sections of 11th grade and two sections of yearbook.

• 10:50AM – 11:30AM – Lunch

Lunch time! My favorite part of the day!

• 11:30AM – 2:30PM – Afternoon classes + prep period

I teach two sections of tenth grade in the afternoon and end the day with my prep!

I was planning on documenting my evening as well, but realized this is already kind of long and drawn out, so I’ll stop at the end of my work day! Also, I’m not sure anyone really cares! ;-)

When (what hours) is your typical work day?

1. Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill says:

Glad your first day went well! Since classes are starting this week for me, I’ve been trying to get into a new routine as well. I’m starting my day at 5am and I’ve been playing catch up, so I’ve been working from about 5:30am until 12:30am. It is a loooong day, but at least I’m not doing the same thing all day long. I babysat for two different families today and worked on assignments for my two internships.
    Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Retro Birthday BashMy Profile

You’re day is much longer than mine! I’ve been trying to get to bed by 10PM and have been successful so far, but it’s only been a few days! It will get more and more difficult as the year goes on!

2. jen @nutcaseinpoint says:

Typical workday pre-move (don’t hate me if this gets long)
    6am wake up
    6:10-6:45: Read blogs, check up on the internets
    6:45-7:30 get ready
    8:00 arrive at work. hate life until 4:30 pm
    5 pm get home eat food
    5:30 pm (depends on the day- teach at the gym, or take a class at the gym-or two classes)
    9:30pm get home, shower, walk dog
    10pm homework for grad school
    midnight: bed

Since I moved to canada and I can’t work because of the LAW
    6:30 wakeup, blog read, internets thing, see how cool kathy & hoda are for the day
    8 eat breakky, blog, watch DVRd shows
    10-2 chores, errands. yuck
    2-4 workout. or nap
    4 cook dinner for hubs when he gets home
    5-bedtime BOREDOM
    midnight sleep

Im at the point where I almost prefer the first one. especially for the teach/take classes at the gym bit.

3. Sara says:

Wow you’re up early! Sounds like a good routine!! Id havevto be in bed pretty soon to get up before 5! ;) Tomorrow I’ll be working on getting back into the school routine after 2 years!! See ya at lunch! ;)

4. Angie @ Pint of Goals says:

As a fellow high school English teacher, I feel you about first hour prep. My schedule this semester isn’t the greatest: teach first, fourth, sixth, seventh, and eighth hours. I prefer a heavy load in the morning, but obviously I’ll get used to this.
    Glad to hear your first day went well! Cute dress :)
    Angie @ Pint of Goals recently posted..Productive MorningMy Profile

It always hard to adjust to a new schedule I think! This year my schedule is a lot different than it was the past school year!

5. Sky says:

Hello! I am currently studying to be a high school English teacher!! This semester I actually get to do field experience in a junior high and have a class that teaches me how to teach composition! I’m really excited, but feel this semester will either reassure me I’m on the right path or help me realize teaching isn’t for me.

My main question is when do you fit in time to workout during the school year?
    Sky recently posted..This is why I love running…My Profile

Good luck with your field experience!

Finding time to workout can be difficult! I prefer to workout in the morning, but just can’t do it during the work week! I plan ahead and make sure I put my workouts on my to do list for the day! I take group exercise classes that are offered in the evening, and if I’m just too busy to get to the gym, I’ll do an at home workout. Does your cable service offer OnDemand? I’ve found the exercise videos on there to be real lifesavers when I’m in a time crunch!

6. Nikki says:

Yikes that is an early start to the morning! Major kudos to you! Totally glad I am elementary for that reason :)Cute outfit!!! My days are so different from day to day and week to week! Some days I don’t have anything, some days I am up at like 5:30!
    Nikki recently posted..WIAW: New Products EditionMy Profile

7. Mia says:

My days are highly variable, depending on what experiments I need to get done. My cells have no interest in whether I’d rather be sleeping (I’ve got to come treat them tonight at 1AM!). I’m totally like you – I am not a fan of a lot of interpersonal interaction early in the morning. When I was teaching, I was often in my classroom before 6:30 because I NEEDED to really wake up before teenagers started talking to me.

Ah, 1AM?!

And yes, I can’t do 9th graders first thing in the morning. So therefore I’ve got to make my “first thing” a little earlier than normal!