Meal Planning

Well hello there! It seems I took a bit of an unplanned hiatus from the blog. While I haven’t been up to anything too interesting, here’s a quick overview of what’s been going on since Wednesday

Thursday was a typical weekday… nothing out of the ordinary! I usually don’t get around to posting on Thursday evenings because I attend a later BodyPump class (6:30PM-7:30PM) & don’t feel like doing much (read: blog) when I get home.

Friday after work, I went up to my parents’ house for dinner. Since Chris works second shift & I didn’t have much motivation to cook dinner (what with it being Friday & all) I decided to head on over for some free grub & a visit with my parents.

Saturday started out at spin class. I was looking forward to the class since I haven’t been going to spin as much, but much to my disappointment, the instructor played mostly oldies music. Only one song she played was from the last 10 years!

Saturday evening I went to church, then something exciting happened… I was finally able to upgrade my Droid to an iPhone! Woohoo! For some reason the salesman at Verizon tried to talk me into sticking with a Droid, but I was a woman on a mission & had him wrap up my shiny white iPhone ASAP.

That brings us to today… For some reason I was up pretty early, but laid in bed until around 7:00AM. I woke up, ate breakfast, clipped coupons, & completed my usual Sunday chores of grocery shopping & laundry.

Speaking of grocery shopping…

I’ve been meaning to share my process of meal planning for some time now. I always like to see how others approach meal planning, so I thought I would explain what I do.

The very first step in my meal planning process is to evaluate what groceries weren’t used the previous week. I oftentimes buy the ingredients for a certain meal, but then never get around to making them. In most cases, these meals will “carry over” to the next week.

Second, I flip through the “recipes” folder in my e-mail.

As I’m writing down recipes for our weekly menu, I simultaneously create a list of what ingredients will be needed.

I’m always sure to note where a recipe was found. I’ve had it happen too many times where I write down a recipe, & have trouble locating the source when it comes time to get cookin’.

Once I have 4-5 meals decided on for the week, my third step is to finalize my grocery list. At this point, I check to see if I have any necessary ingredients on-hand already, & make a list of what exactly I need to buy. (I split my list between Target & my local grocery store.)

Then, all that’s left to do is to get shopping! (Not before checking out my coupons, though!)

And there you have it!

If you’re interested, here are a few more meal planning resources:

Do you meal plan? If so, what’s your “strategy”? If you don’t meal plan, how do you know exactly what to shop for, or how do you avoid over-shopping?

This entry was tagged .

1. Courtney says:

I do a pseudo meal plan during the week, but really mostly for lunches. I bring my lunch every day to work so I plan out those too. For dinner I’ll allow myself a dinner out once or twice to break up the monotony and squeeze in some fun! i like your meal planning though, I should probably be more diligent :)
    Courtney recently posted..the weekend {via instagram}My Profile

2. Michelle (Better with Berries) says:

I’m like you – I love seeing how others meal plan. And I love your system! At the moment, I don’t do a whole lot of planning because I live with the ‘rents and a lot of my meals are determined by what they feel like having (I’m not complaining – it’s free!), but next year I’m excited to do my own planning again!
    Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Creamy Avocado Lime DressingMy Profile

This past year has been my first experience with meal planning. Last year, I lived at home & ate whatever my mom cooked! The year before, I had my own apartment but was not into cooking at all & usually made frozen dinners or whatever was quickest!

There are lots of times where I don’t feel like eating what I bought. It’s a good idea — especially if you buy meat for something — to just freeze it in case you want to save it for a later date!

3. Nikki says:

Heck yes for iPhones! There was NO way Iwas getting another droid. Mine gave me so much trouble for far too long. And is it weight that I am jealous of your meal planning? Because I am the only one in my house, I typically just throw random meals together for one person. I wish I had people to cook for!
    Nikki recently posted..Washington WeekendMy Profile

It’s fun, but sometimes it’s a burden… especially if the other member of my household doesn’t have anything in particular in mind! Then it’s all on me to pick something that will make us both happy!

4. Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony says:

Laundry, clipping coupons from the Sunday paper, and grocery shopping is part of my Sunday routine too!

I always try to have foundations stocked in the fridge, freezer and cabinets. Whole wheat pastas, different proteins (lean pork, chicken breasts, chicken sausage, lean steak, etc.) to build our meals on. Based on what’s on sale that week in the circular and what coupons I have we then build meals for the week. It helps us be creative too!
    Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Margherita ChickenMy Profile

5. Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries says:

i’m a big fan of meal planning! every sunday evening, i sit down and write out our meals on the little whiteboard menu we have on our fridge. then i make the grocery list based on the ingredients we need for meals and then our regular weekly necessities.
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..June GoalsMy Profile