The Sunday Loophole

Hi, friends. :-)

Well, another weekend has come & gone. If only this weekend were last weekend & I had tomorrow off. I sure could use it!

Time to re-cap some weekend activities!

I mentioned in yesterday’s post that I had a busy few days on the agenda. First thing Saturday morning, I headed off to spin class, then to get my nails done. Afterwards, I had to make a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up a fruit tray for Chris & I to bring to his mom’s birthday celebration, which was last night. Before heading home, I made a quick pit-stop at Starbucks for one of my favorite breakfasts:

Last night’s dinner was at Hartefeld National in Avondale, & while I didn’t snap any photos, here’s a quick run-down of the tasty meal that was enjoyed:

• Winter Fruit Salad – baby spinach, sliced apples, pears, cranberries, cashews, shredded gruyere, honey buttermilk vinaigrette
  • Mushroom Ravioli – with grilled vegetable ratatouille, blush sauce

Of course there was cake for dessert too, & I happily enjoyed a piece as my one sweet for the day.

When all was said & done, I finally got to sleep around 12:00, & couldn’t have been more excited to catch some Z’s.

However, I was up early this morning to get some research paper grading underway. For fuel, I enjoyed the following:

After breakfast, the usual Sunday activities ensued: church, meal planning, Target & the grocery store with Chris, laundry, etc. As I was working through my to-do list, I enjoyed a few snacks to keep me energized, one of which was a smoothie:

Eventually, though, I got tired of snacking & got to work preparing a real meal:

Finished off with a single piece of chocolate:

Now, I need everyone’s opinion! As I was sitting down to lunch today (just a quick meal of a pb+j with a side of baked chips), I mentioned to Chris that I could really go for a soda. When I was deciding what to give up for Lent, soda didn’t seem like it would be such a big deal, but now I’m craving it more than ever!

Chris’s response to me? “Well it is Sunday.” I had never heard of the Sunday “loophole” for Lent until I started dating Chris. Apparently, Sunday functions as sort of a “cheat day,” where you’re able to indulge in whatever you’ve decided to give up for the 40 days of Lent.

Like I said, I had never heard of this until I met Chris, & I refrained from using that as my “excuse” to have a soda today, but I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

Have you ever heard of Sunday being a “free” day during Lent?

1. Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies says:

That’s so funny– my Mom told me about Sunday cheat day when I was little and couldn’t stand not having (whatever it was- chocolate, candy, soda, TV, etc.) When I lived with my parents, I would definitely indulge in cheat day… maybe not EVERY Sunday, because it got easier to ignore the temptation with time, but occasional Sunday, ESPECIALLY if I had had a tough week beforehand.

I’m not doing Lent this year, but I were, I’d probably give in to one or two cheat days :)
    Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Still alive!My Profile

2. Caroline says:

Just found your blog! And I grew up Catholic and definitely was known for taking advantage of Sundays for cheating – a lot of people do it! It’s probably not the good Catholic thing to do, but oh well :)

Welcome Caroline! :-) My husband almost got me to give in last night when he offered to go get Blizzards from Dairy Queen, but I stayed strong! There’s still a looong way to go though…

3. Baking Serendipity says:

My sister always tried to pull the Sunday loophole card during Lent. I think it feels too much like the easy way out. Your post definitely reminded me that I have research papers to be grading too…but gave me some awesome fuel ideas to work through it!
    Baking Serendipity recently posted..365: Week EightMy Profile

I finally finished grading my papers at 9:30 last night! A month later, they’re done. I’m pretty sure my students are convinced that they’re never getting them back since they’ve stopped asking me about them. ;-)

4. Karen says:

I have never heard of the Sunday cheat day! What about Leap Day? Since that only happens once every four years is that a cheat day too? Wouldn’t it mean that we are technically in Lent for 41 days this year?? ; )

I did not know the loophole existed until I went to an all-girls Catholic high school. That Sunday loophole was VERY popular. However, I do not think anyone in my family “supported” the loophole! :) I always thought it was funny, since Sunday seems like the day where it would matter the most.
    Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl recently posted..SadnessMy Profile

6. Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life says:

I have never heard of the Sunday cheat day! Not sure how I feel about that though, it kind of misses the point of what lent is really about? Lol to each there own! :-) Isn’t it funny though how much we want what we can’t have? Even if we don’t think it’s important when we can have it, the second it’s taken away we suddenly realize how much we really look forward to it!
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..The Journey is Most ImportantMy Profile

Yeah, it does sort of defeat the whole purpose! When my husband first told me that, I couldn’t believe it. I have definitely fallen victim to the “you want what you can’t have.” Mmm, diet Coke. :-)

7. Sarah says:

oh yess when I was younger I would always use the sunday loop hole but now that I’m a little more grown up I’m doing it cold turkey! No fro yo for 40 days!