Happy Wednesday folks! I’m glad this week is moving by a smidge quicker than last week; we’re already half-way through!
It’s hard to believe it’s already February. Seriously, where did the month of January go? I suppose now is as good a time as any to revisit my January goals & see how I ended up doing.
1) Get more sleep – FAIL
I did not do well with this goal… at all. My alarm goes off every morning at 5:00AM, & I’ve been snoozing until almost 5:15AM lately. It doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but those 15 minutes can really make or break the tone of my morning. If I’m rushed heading out the door, chances are my entire day will feel that way. I know that I’m exhausted, but it’s almost impossible for me to get to bed any earlier. I’m completing various tasks from the minute I get home from work until the minute I finally jump into bed. Any suggestions on how to force myself into getting more sleep? Please share!
2) Be more mindful of my spending – SUCCESS
I think Chris & I did pretty well with this goal. I’ve returned to coupon-clipping & have been using them whenever I can. I think we’ve also both been more aware of small, unnecessary purchases that we make & have cut back without becoming complete cheap-o duds. I had a general goal of not spending more than $100 on our weekly shopping, & from what I can remember, I think we stuck to that every week in January.
Even though watching our spending isn’t the most fun thing ever, we both have our eyes on the prize of getting into a house soon, so it will all be worth it!
3) Add more variety to my breakfasts & lunches – SUCCESS
Although, I think I just subbed in a new favorite breakfast food for my old favorite (an English muffin).
Lately I’ve been loving overnight oats, & even enjoyed some this morning for breakfast:
I found that overnight oats definitely help to keep me satisfied throughout my entire morning, which is an improvement for me. Even if I eat them every day from here on out, at least there’s a reason & I’m not just being a creature of habit.
As far as lunches go, I’ve been trying to prepare a little extra at dinnertime so that I always have leftovers for both myself and Chris for lunch the next day. In the past, we’ve always had leftovers but I saved them for Chris. By making just a tiny bit extra, I ensure that there will be some variety in my lunches instead of always going for a simple peanut butter & jelly sandwich (which was getting quite dull if I’m being honest).
And now, why not do a little goal-setting for February?
1) Get more sleep – I’m just going to be persistent about adding this to my goal list until it becomes a reality for me!
2) Add more variety to my workouts – I mentioned something about this in one of last week’s posts, but I definitely feel like I’m in a bit of a rut when it comes to the gym. While I don’t want to stop attending my favorite classes – BodyPump & spin – I do think I need to work on switching up the cardio I do independently. Instead of relying solely on the elliptical, I want to try out some of the other gym equipment, & I’ve already started to make my 3 millionth another attempt at getting into running.
3) Continue to grow For the Sake of Cake – I’m so happy to say that January was FTSC’s biggest month yet (and yes, apparently now I feel special enough to give my blog an acronym). I love seeing new readers pop up & comment, so say “hi” if you haven’t yet. I hope to keep writing content that people enjoy reading, so if there’s anything in particular you want to hear about, don’t hesitate to contact me & speak your mind.
FYI – all of my contact information can be found on the new “Contact” page (don’t forget about Twitter & facebook, friends!).
And with that, I’m off to hurry up & get my “stuff” done before attacking goal #1 head-on! 😉
Are you setting any goals for the month of February? Share!