Taking the Plunge

It’s been a while since I’ve talked about our house hunt, but we’ve finally found a home that is perfect for us & we’re getting ready to put in an offer… it’s scary & exciting!

Originally, Chris & I wanted to build a home, but that idea fell through for several reasons. It made more sense for us to buy an existing property, & I’ve always loved old houses that have lots of charm. Luckily, that’s exactly what we found!

Throughout the house hunt, I think the biggest thing we’ve learned is that we aren’t going to find a home that has every single thing we’re looking for. This house, however, is beautiful on the inside & the location, while not necessarily our ideal, keeps us close to our families & most importantly… Target. (I kid!)

The house that we’re putting an offer in on was built in the 1920s (!!!) has gorgeous wood floors, beautiful paint (that only needs a few touch ups here & there), & plenty of natural sunlight, which I love.

We were also impressed by the size, discussing how we’ll actually have one room we have no idea what to do with. Plus, there’s a large, finished basement complete with a bar!

One of our favorite things about our walk-thru today was that the current owners (they’re pretty much moved out) left a small stack of photographs of the home that dated back to the 1940s! There were photos of the house, as well as a man & woman (& their dogs!) who lived in the home. I love that there is so much history, & that we will (hopefully!) be adding to it!

We’ll be putting our offer in tomorrow afternoon & then going from there (we’re prepared for a little back-and-forth). If all goes as planned, we may be in there as early as late-February/early-March! :-)

Here are a few photos of the property that were available online:

House1How gorgeous is this door? And I love how the house number is in the glass!

House2 Love all the French doors (leading out to a porch from this room!) & large windows (window coverings are included in the sale!).

House3  I’m obsessed with this dining room! It also has a set of French doors on the other side of the room & the chandelier is fabulous!

House4 Subway tiling!!!

Keep your fingers crossed that we end up with a great deal & I’ll definitely keep everyone updated!

Do you own a home? Any tips for first-time homebuyers?

Which do you prefer – new construction, or an older house with a bit more charm? Previously, I would have said new, but I’ve really grown to appreciate the quality present in older homes!

So exciting!!! We owned our first home and then built the home we are in now. My only advice is to be extremely picky. Meaning, if there is something you don’t like or doesn’t seem right, SPEAK UP. That is what the inspection is for and you as the buyer have every single right to get what you want for what you offer. Don’t be shy!!

2. Colleen says:

Congrats Erica! The pics remind me a lot of my place. It was also originally built in the 1920s and I LOVE the character of old french doors and thick casings and moldings. The place looks beautiful – love the blue in the dining room. I wish you and Chris the best with the deal.

I wish! They are leaving behind a few things… some of which we’d rather not have. Like, I’m pretty sure they aren’t removing the giant deer head hanging in the basement. HAHA

3. Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine says:

The house is beautiful! Good luck – I hope you get it. I don’t own a home yet but I will be in the market within the year. Most of the time I prefer newer construction since I am a huge fan of modern appliances and design. A well maintained older home is nice too though.

4. Rachel says:

The place looks awesome :-). So excited for you and Chris!! Hope everything goes smooth for you. Keep us posted on the process :-).

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL HOME!!! ….The husband and I bought our house, it was a HUGE deal for us. It takes a lot of time to buy a house, taxes come around every year so make sure you can afford them, make sure to have someone you trust walk you through the process- it’s a confusing one (at least in my opinion)
    Fingers crossed- that home is simply amazing!!! WOW!

We’re having our taxes including in our mortgage, so we should be good to go! We’re definitely getting a THOROUGH home inspection, especially since the property is so old!

6. Kathryn @ Flopoodle says:

I love that dining room! How adorable and cozy!

I tend to go for new construction because I feel there will be fewer issues if everything is new, but I don’t own a home yet so we’ll see if I change my mind when the time comes!

7. vogelstar says:

During our house search, we found that our list of requirements began to shrink with each house we saw. finally we decided on the one that gave us the best feeling when we were inside. We just knew it was the right one even though it didn’t have a few things we wanted and now 6 moths later I am inlove with it.
    PS our home was built in the 40′s with a balance of old world and new world.

The same thing happened with us! I think as you start the house-hunting process you’re sort of forced to have more realistic expectations!

8. Lindsay @ biking before bed says:

This is so exciting! I am in love with the door too. I bought my first house last March and it’s the best decision I ever made. It is so nice being able to make your own changes and not have to go through a middle man. My house was built in the 80s but normally I love older houses too.

Thanks Leila! I’m stressed just waiting to hear back about our offer, so I’m sure I won’t be able to relax until we’re all moved in! The wine & chocolate is never a problem! :-)