Well, the first Monday of January has just about come to a close, which means back-to-work for me tomorrow! I can’t believe our holiday break is over, but I guess all good things must come to an end.
I headed off to a 6:00AM spin class first thing this morning. I thought it would be a good idea to start the week with an early wake-up call so tomorrow isn’t quite so brutal. Plus, I definitely prefer to workout in the morning, but that isn’t really a possibility with work, so when I can I definitely take advantage of it!
When I returned home from the gym, I whipped up a quick breakfast of a cheese omelet (2 eggs + leftover shredded cheese from last Monday’s taco bake), served alongside two pieces of toast (with jelly) & a mug of coffee.
After quickly showering, I headed off to Target & the grocery store to stock up for the week. As I was getting ready to check-out, I fell victim to the convenience of the grocery store salad bar. It was just about lunch time, & for some reason a salad sounded really good. I chose the small size, & loaded it up with all kinds of goodies.
Dessert was two Gertrude Hawk peanut butter Smidgens… so good!
This lunch didn’t hold me over for too long, so a few hours later I blended up a quick & tasty smoothie.
In the mix:
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 handful blackberries (lovin’ these lately!)
- 1 & 1/2 c. milk
- 2 heaping tbsp. vanilla Chobani
- 4 ice cubes
The banana/blackberry combo was delicious & I loved the pretty purple color!
I thought that I would continue with my plan of setting monthly goals, rather than create a list of resolutions for the entire year.
1) Get more sleep – This is similar to the goal I set for December of getting up on time for work. I’m never actually late for work, but I definitely love the snooze button! I know that getting to bed earlier, even if it’s only 15 or 20 minutes, is definitely a necessity for me in 2012!
2) Be more mindful of my spending – Chris & I are pretty good with our money & tend to keep each other in-check when it comes to making frivolous purchases. However, over the last few weeks I’ve found myself becoming a little more lax with coupon-clipping & taking extra cost-saving measures. (I blame it on the hustle & bustle of the holidays, but still, no excuse…) I want to start paying more attention to where our money is going & work on saving as much as possible!
3) Add more variety to my breakfasts & lunches – (Almost) Every weekday morning for the last 2 years or so, I’ve had an English muffin (toasted with butter & jelly), a banana, & coffee for breakfast. It’s quick & easy to prepare before heading off to work. I also fall back on sandwiches – usually peanut butter & jelly – as a quick lunch option. There are plenty of other meals that require quick preparation, I just haven’t discovered them yet! Tomorrow, I’m going to try this recipe for overnight oats.
Alrighty, off to prepare a quick & easy dinner of spaghetti & meatballs. Have a great evening & for those of you heading back to work tomorrow after a vacation – good luck, we’ll need it!
Do you have any quick, go-to breakfast or lunch options?