Oh. my. goodness.
Tonight’s dinner was amazing! Quick comfort food – can it get any better?
I recently came across this recipe in Real Simple’s September 2011 issue (yes, I’m behind on my magazine reading) & immediately clipped it out & put it on my “to try” list. Tonight was the night & boy am I glad I finally got around to trying it!
Cheeseburger Skillet Pie (from Real Simple magazine)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (I used half of a large onion.)
- 1 lb. ground beef (I used extra-lean.)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1.5 c. biscuit mix, plus required ingredients
- 4 ounces Cheddar, grated (I used a shredded “pizza blend” mix that I already had on hand.)
- Heat oven to 400*. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a medium, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion & 1/2 tsp. salt & cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown (6-7 minutes).
- Add the beef & cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink (6-8 minutes).
- Add the canned tomatoes (with their juices) & cook until slightly thickened (2-3 minutes).
- Prepare the biscuit mix according to the package directions. (I made it super-easy for myself by purchasing a mix that only required water!)
- Drop 8 mounds of the dough onto the meat mixture in the skillet & sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden & cooked through (18-22 minutes).
As the skillet pie was baking, I fixed myself a salad. I was getting hungry & knew I’d easily down half of the skillet if I didn’t have a little something in my belly!
This was so, so delicious! I could definitely see this becoming a go-to meal in our household!
Where do you usually get your recipes from? Family, magazines, blogs? I’d say I acquire mine from a fair mix of all of those sources!