Soon after Chris & I returned from the honeymoon, my friend Laura & her boyfriend invited Chris & I over to her apartment for dinner. She made a delicious sweet & sour chicken dish, & was nice enough to share the recipe with me (thanks Laura!). I changed it up a bit, because I had some leftover pork in the freezer (from this recipe).
Sweet & Sour Pork (or chicken!)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- About 1 lb. pork chops, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 c. frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1 can pineapple chunks in juice (you choose the size depending on how much you like pineapple)
- 1/2 c. sweet & sour sauce
- 1 c. water
- 2 c. minute/instant rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add pork, cook & stir about 4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add vegetables, pineapple with juice & sweet & sour sauce; mix well. Stir in water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes until almost all of the liquid is absorbed & rice is tender.
Chris & I both loved this dish, especially because of the pineapple! It’s also so simple & versatile, you can subbed out the pork for whatever you happen to have on hand & it will still be delicious.
What are your feelings towards fruit in dinner entrees? I love fruit, so the more, the better!