I recently made the switch to self-hosted; if you are not receiving my blog updates, please update your subscription!
Ever since my first “go-around” with quinoa, I’ve been looking for a way to use the remnants of the bag (I had about 1/2 left).
I present to you…
Turkey Quinoa Skillet Dinner
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 lb. (or more) lean ground turkey
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (I used one yellow & one orange.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (I used mild because I don’t like a lot of spice.)
- About 1 c. quinoa
- About 1 c. water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey & onion. Cook until turkey is browned.
- Add in the peppers, stewed tomatoes, & diced tomatoes. Heat to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook covered for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the quinoa & water. (I added in the water simply because the tomatoes did not produce enough liquid to cook the quinoa. You might need more or less liquid.)
- Stir everything together, then continue to cook, covered, for an additional 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked.
Chris & both really enjoyed this meal. I thought it tasted slightly like chili – all it was missing were the beans, which was fine by me as I’m not a big bean eater! Chris praised this meal for the quinoa; I think he even said it’s his new favorite food!
What are you up to this weekend? Any exciting plans? I spent my Saturday cleaning, doing laundry, & working on grad work. But hey, the weekend is the weekend, so it can never be too bad, right? 😉
PS – My review of Love Grown Granola is coming up tomorrow, so stay tuned!