I love to bake, but I haven’t had a chance to do too much of it lately. I’ve been busy with back-to-school & cooking dinner every night, so there isn’t much time to break out the mixer & bake my favorite cookies/cakes/cupcakes/etc.
Well this afternoon I was working on stuff for school & got the urge to take a break & bake! I figured I deserved the break, seeing as I have a long weekend, & there isn’t too much to do for school just yet. I better get some baking in now, because things will start to get crazy-busy soon.
At my bridal shower this past June, I received a cookbook compiled by a local church, filled with members’ of the women’s society recipes!
I flipped through the desserts section, looking for something that I had all the ingredients for. I’m so excited to pass this recipe along because it is simple, perfect for fall, & turned out to be delicious. (And thank you to Carol Travers, whoever you are, for this awesome recipe!)
Fresh Apple Cake
Yields 12-18 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups diced apples
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts.)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Mix the sugar, apples, & eggs together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, & nuts together. Add to the sugar, apples, & eggs.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, salt, & baking soda together. Add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan & bake for 50-60 minutes. You want the top to be golden brown. (Mine took exactly 50 minutes.)
I enjoyed mine ala mode, with some Phillies Graham Slam!
What’s your favorite “fall food”? I know so many people get seriously pumped for pumpkin this time of year!
PS – You can now “like” For the Sake of Cake on facebook! Just click on the facebook button on the right sidebar!